https://spmsimondays.pbworks.com/w/page/108951538/Edcamp

This week I had the honor of attending EdCamp 2021! I had a great time switching up my schedule and being able to have conversations with a variety of educators. I chose to spend my time in the “First Practicum Survival” breakout room, and I learned a lot about how I should prepare myself for my first practicum one day. Even though I am not able to have my first practicum this year because of the pandemic, I am grateful that I got the chance to get some advice to prepare myself for my future practicums. For this weeks reflection, I will be sharing the notes that I took during my experience learning from Sandra McAulay from SD54.

• know the school, know the teacher, know the grade
  • have communication with your mentor teacher
  • keep an open mind, sometimes your mentor teacher might not have the same teaching style as you, try to adapt and discover the pros and cons of different teaching styles
  • work on building relationships with your students, start with something engaging (2 truths and a lie?)
  • try to find the balance between having good relationships while being a trusted adult
  • you aren’t going to be able to do everything you plan on doing
  • make good impressions!!! practicum is a 6-week long job interview
  • become a part of the school culture (coach something, volunteer for the play…)
  • keep a daybook
  • the practicum will be hard work! expect to stay up late nights
  • pick a big topic to explore throughout each practicum (classroom management, inclusion…)
  • ask to visit other classrooms
  • keep a collection of pictures and resources from this experience
  • have specific learning intentions
  • you are leading the learning, lead it!
  • be kind to yourself!!!!!

In all, I had a great time attending EdCamp this year and I hope to attend for years to come!